Hi everyone! Well, I am finally in Nicaragua. This is day 2 for me. I will be honest, yesterday was tough. I still had a headache from my flight, and my head hurt even more from the concentration it takes to communicate in Spanish. But things are better today. As Fransisco tells me...poco a poco (little by little). I am so very thankful that the people here are patient with me.
Ha ha...I made a fool of myself even before I got to Nicaragua and started speaking Spanish. For those of you who know me very well, you know that I always carry a water bottle with me. Well, being that I do not fly very often, I did not realize that it is prohibited to take liquids through the security. Whoops! Rest assured, everything turned out quite all right. I just had to exit back out to the lobby, empty my water, and then return. Go figure.
Anyways, back to life in Nicaragua. Yesterday I spent part of the day in the office talking with the people who work here. I also spent some time in a nearby community, but I understood nothing that was said. Today I spent most of the day out in yet another community. Basically, I sat and tried to understand what was being said as the community health promoters made plans for an upcoming event. I pray that the Lord will do great things with the work of these people! And I pray that He will reveal to me where I can be of support.
I will try to update again this weekend, hopefully adding a funny story or two. As always, thanks for the prayers!
In the love of Christ,
Sara
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad to hear you are there! Isn't the hospitality beautiful? Don't get discouraged with language. The excuse of trying to learn Spanish better can be a great way of getting to know people. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am praying!
-Megan G.
Ahh Sara! I miss you and am sure you are having a great time. I have so many stories to share, and not enough space in one comment box. Dr. Jose Luis knows the missionaries in Nicaragua and how you are there this summer and was very excited that I am friends with you. I am so proud to call you my friend!
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear you've arrived safely. That is always stressful, I know. And getting into the language 24/7 is also a bit of a shock, but you will do well. It will give you added incentive to keep studying it, too! ;)
Abrazos,
Kris
Jacob had the same problem with a water bottle on his flight to Washington, DC. Jayme was here for a couple of days. They all had fun!
ReplyDeleteKathleen
Jacob had the same problem with a water bottle when he boarded his flight to D.C. Jayme was here for a couple of days . . . the kids had fun, hope she did, too! Take care and thanks for keeping us informed!
ReplyDeleteKathleen